Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Primer Fail: Benefit Primed and Poreless

For many people, primer is one of those extra steps that isn't really used on a regular basis. I don't use primer religiously but if I want my makeup to really last and continue to look flawless, I'll definitely use one. Here's the catch: I don't want to spend lots of money on one and if I do, it definitely has to be worth it. At Sephora I was given a sample of Benefit's Primed and Poreless which I was excited to try as I've seen so many good reviews about it. While I'm not totally hung up about it, I do have larger pores around my nose and cheeks. If I can find a product that minimizes them, that would definitely be a huge plus in my book.
Here's my cute little sample packet:



 So, last week, I tried the primer and applied as directed. I topped it with the makeup that's been part of my routine lately- Neutrogena Healthy Skin Liquid Foundation, MAC Studio Fix Concealer in NC35, and a light dusting of whatever setting powder I happen to have at hand.
Here's what the product looks like:

Its a bit more creamy than it looks in the packaging

Here you can tell that it has a silicone-y look and feel to it

After application, I noticed that my face kind of looked... the same. It didn't minimize the appearance of my pores but did mattify my skin so I decided to just give it a chance.
Here's what my face looked like about half hour after application:
Kindly ignore the giant under eye circles..

On this particular day, I wore my makeup for about 9 hours which is a bit longer than I usually would. Anyway, at the end of the day, I looked in the mirror and was startled to see that my makeup looked AWFUL. The foundation was virtually gone and my concealer looked crease-y and gross. I've worn my makeup for that long before (without Primed and Poreless) and did not see those effects. And it wasn't just like "gee, my makeup has worn off a little. I look kind of odd." No. It was "Oh my God! I look AWFUL and I want to wear a paper bag over my head to get home!" As I've said before, my skin isn't particularly oily and its been cool in NYC, so I'm not entirely sure what happened. If you've read my other blog posts, you also know that as much as I love makeup, I'm not hung up about leaving the house wearing it always- most days I actually don't wear any makeup at all- just lip balm. Honestly though, the way my makeup looked at the end of the day... it was rough and I am sure I would've looked much better (and much more normal) had I not been wearing any makeup at all. I'm not including a picture of the after because it was just... gross.

Have you tried Benefit's Primed and Poreless? What was your experience with it? Also, have you tried any primers that you absolutely hate?

No comments:

Post a Comment